Friday, January 18, 2013

Old School Peas and the Importance of Keeping it Real with Bread

I love to experiment with new foods/recipes (see previous post).  That said, nothing brings me more comfort that making a meal that might have been found in my grandmothers' kitchens.

Tonight my family enjoyed black-eye peas, turnip greens, honey glazed carrots, and yeast rolls.  Let me be clear, my grandmothers would have made cornbread.  And this is also my go-to (I am a self-respecting Southern woman after all).  But due to my newly acquired yeast baking skills, rolls were my choice.

There is something so therapeutic about making the meals my grandmothers taught me.  I simmered the peas for hours after a long soak. I used onions and bacon like my grandmothers would.  Bay leaf and marjoram were my additions.  This seems important.  The idea that family provides a strong foundation to which one builds.

As for the newly acquired yeast skills; They had no place at this meal.  They were flat.  My "skills" need practice.  A comfort meal requires bread to match.




No comments: