Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Breakfast for Supper

The day started off in a tizzy.  Though getting a kindergartner and two toddlers into the our van was similar to herding cats, Sela made it to school on time.  As these things seem to go, a busy morning predicts a fairly calm day.  Since a grocery visit is still pending as I plan out my first couponing venture, homemade pancakes and bacon seemed perfect.

There is something so comforting about breakfast for supper.  Though the menu was different, both my mom and stepmom had go to breakfast foods for easy dinner nights.  Mom usually had salmon patties, biscuits, and gravy for these meals.  While my stepmom opted for sausage, buiscuits, gravy, and sliced cantaloup.

I use the pancake recipe from the old Fanny Farmer Cookbook that my mother-in-law gave me.  I double for our family of five.



Pancakes (Griddlecakes)

Put in a mixing bowl
  1/2 cup milk
  2 TBSP melted butter
  1 egg
Beat lightly. Sift.
  1 cup all-purpose flour
  2 tsp baking powder
  2 TBSP sugar
  1/2 tsp salt




Add to the milk mixture all at once.  Stir just enough to dampen the flour.  Add enough more milk to make the batter about as thick as heavy cream.
-The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, 11th edition. Little, Brown and Company. 1965.

Heat a griddle to 375F.  Put pancake batter on the griddle by 1/4 c. scoops.  When bubbles begin to pop on top, flip with a spatula to allow other side to cook briefly.

Enjoy!

No comments: