Friday, January 18, 2013

Back in Blog

After quite a hiatus from Fish and Flowers, I have had many new adventures and projects.  Our twin girls, who were only a month old in my last entry, are now 4 years old. And big sister is 6 and a kindergartner.  As they say, "time flies." But, we are having fun.

In the last couple of months, our family has made some very positive changes.  We (kiddos included) are trying to live our lives more simply.  This has led to many loads of clothes, toys, and furnishings being donated.  It has also led to organization projects around our home. I am cooking at home, avoiding the costs of restaurants.

Cooking, which has always been something I enjoyed, had become repetitive and frustrating in recent years.  It seemed "easier" to cook something that I knew the kids would eat or even go to a restaurant.
The result: Our meals had become unhealthy and boring.  I've resolved to change that in recent months and it's working.  My children are eating a variety of foods they would have turned up noses to in the past.  They are excited about helping with meals and trying what their hands helped to create.

Enter Experimental Dinner Night.  My husband and I enjoy trying new foods and flavors.  Our sweet daughters are a tougher crowd.  Last night I prepared Quinoa Loaf, which I learned about from my Whole Foods Recipes App.  We do not have a Whole Foods in our area, but the app is very useful for building recipes from items you currently have in your pantry or finding new recipes based on your preferences (budget, vegan, etc.).  I served this with a side of broccoli (with cheese for kiddos).  It was a very tasty, wholesome meal.  And cheap.  It did take a little time to prepare, but my family is worth every bit.



Photo was obtained from Whole Foods Market website
Recipe available at http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/quinoa-loaf-mushrooms-and-peas

2 comments:

s.lee said...

sounds yummy! love to ya'll

Anonymous said...

Yay! So happy to keep up with you guys this way again. Since I'm so lousy at keeping in touch otherwise.