Sunday, January 20, 2013

Bad Vegetarianism and the Mysteries of Couponing

Don't you love the feeling you get when you stumble upon a new idea?  I feel exhilaration. I go to into planning and research mode instantly.  Google. Pinterest.  Friends and Family.  I learn all I can when I'm excited by a new interest or hobby.

Last night while sitting down to fold some laundry, I decided to watch a couple of episodes of Extreme Couponing (Thank you, Netflix).  When I saw the mountains of toothpaste I smirked. When I saw the savings at the register, I was in awe. I locked eyes with my husband across the living room and knew I had just found my new project.

Today started with a good ole Pinterest search.  This provided a list of coupon databases. I then pinned links to my favorite stores' coupon policies as a quick reference. Next, I searched the circulars of local stores I use.  Though Walmart did not have a weekly circular as other grocers, they do provide coupons which can be printed from their website and used in store. 

Currently, I am cross referencing items I plan to purchase with a meal plan.  More on that later.

On a day like today, It's good to have a slow cooker.  Tonight's menu consist of Great Northern Beans, green beans, and garlic toast.  My food preferences are best described at "Bad Vegetarian."  I do not eat meat (for over a decade now), but I'm not opposed to meat used to season my dishes.   Great Nothern Beans are a perfect example of this. 

Great Northern Beans

2 lbs dried great northern beans, sorted, soaked, and rinsed
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 strips bacon (sauteed so as to stay firm in beans)
Water to cover 1/2 inch. (you can use broth, but alter salt in accordance)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
2 teaspoons salt (many people choose delay salt addition until after cooking is complete)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil

Directions:

1. Sautee bacon slices

2. Mix all ingredients except tomatoes.

3. Cover and cook on high heat setting in your slow cooker for 4 hours or until beans are tender.

4. Stir in tomatoes

I don't always use sun-dried tomatoes; I was simply excited to have them in my pantry today and give them a job.  You can substitute 1 can of diced tomatoes which can be mixed in during step 2.

Enjoy


No comments: