Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Rice Pudding Sans Pesky Raisins

Life is good.  We've had the opportunity to spend more time together as a family in recent weeks and we have enjoyed every minute of it! This time has meant a lot of walks/rides around the block.  These walks have given the girls time to enjoy their bikes in nature instead of just our driveway. And time for my husband and I to enjoy each other, these sweet girls, and our pup.

Sela Rose really enjoys walking our Jack Russell, Pete.  I've been so happy to see the two of them getting closer.  She has become more loving and respectful of him as he's starting to show his age.



After these evening walks, it is nice to come home to dessert. Last night, I tried my hand at rice pudding. I managed to scald the milk and had to start over. It was worth it.  And it was GOOD.  In the past, I haven't been a fan of rice pudding due to the copious amount of raisins that often accompany this traditional dessert.  This is my rice pudding, my way. I love the creative freedom that comes with cooking!





Rice Pudding

2/3 c. minute rice
2 ½ c. skim milk
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
½ c. brown sugar
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
Orange zest (optional)
¼ c. craisins (optional)





Heat rice, milk, and salt (and optional zest) just to boiling over med/med high, STIRRING CONSTANTLY
Cook on med low for 6-8 minutes (for tender rice). Again, Stir frequently if not constantly.

In the meantime, mix eggs and sugar in small bowl.

After rice mixtures simmers, (remove optional zest) add small amount to egg/sugar mixture to temper. Slowing pour egg mixture into rice mixture.
Cook low for 1 minute, STIRRING CONSTANTLY. DO NOT BOIL.
Remove from heat, add cinnamon and vanilla (and optional craisins).
Serve hot and enjoy.

No comments: