Saturday, February 16, 2013

Fresh Start

There have been a few changes in our home in the last week (change is the only constant, right?).  We met a great dog last week and have completed paperwork to bring this pup home soon.  We're hoping Pete is just the slightest bit happy about having a new buddy around.  We've had a lot of fun discussing names with girls.  It seems everyone has their own distinctive taste in the art of dog naming.

Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent, has inspired a big lifestyle change for me: I gave up processed food and dairy.  Considering Valentines and Girl Scout Cookies have all taken place this week, I've thought about these losses often.  That said, it has felt good to give my body back to God.  After all, He has created all of the foods I need to be healthy and even happier.  As a result, I am feeling healthier t and feel 40 days will make a lasting impact.

Tonight I made one of my favorite salad combinations: Strawberry, avocado, and almond on a bed of spinach and spring mix.  I drizzle a little red wine vinegar and a dash of black pepper.  These flavors compliment each other so well and seem to satisfy my every taste bud.  The avocado provides enough creaminess to make one forget cheese and creamy dressings all together.  Nutritionally, this salad provides iron, protein, and heart healthy fats.  Remember good fats are needed for your body to metabolize many vitamins and nutrients, like iron and antioxidants.

Strwberry, Avocado, and Almond Salad

1/2 Bag Spinach (or greens of your choice, about 2 cups)
1/2 Avocado sliced
2-3 Strawberries
1 oz Natural Almonds (about 24)
Dash of Black Pepper
1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar (more or less to your liking)

This made enough for me to have a large salad and the girls to get a few tastes. Enjoy.


No comments: